Wahoo Newspaper Historical Articles
home --> history -->
Wahoo Newspaper -- Reformed
Presbyterians Organize; December 1871
Organize; December 1871
About ninety-five years
ago, on December 19, 1871, the Fremont and Wahoo Reformed
Presbyterian Church was organized. Rev. D. McKay, commissioned
by the Kansas Presbytery, performed the initiatory services in
the school house located about two miles from Fremont. The
church building, valued at $1,200, was erected in Wahoo in
April 1873. The first regular pastor was Rev. J. A. Thompson.
Rev. J. Willey, who came to Wahoo in April 1881, served during
that year and the following.
In 1874 Rev. William
Fleetwood was sent out from the Iowa Presbytery and through
his efforts the Presbyterian church was organized. Services
were held in the school house until the church was erected, at
a cost of $1,500, in the year 1878. Rev. Mr. Amlong became the
minister of the church in 1877 and remained until 1879.