Wahoo Newspaper Historical Articles
home --> history -->
Wahoo Newspaper --> Ashland
Ashland Organized by Mr. Argyle in Year 1870
The name Ashland may be traced to
its giver, a Mr. Argyle. He was an ardent admirer of Henry Clay,
and many years ago, in conversation with Hon. A. B. Fuller, told
him that once while on a fishing excursion up the Salt Creek, he
was charmed with the natural beauty of the scenery and its
seeming advantages of becoming a future city, and named it
Ashland, in honor of the home of his ideal statesman. It was
formally organized at its first meeting held March 4, 1870.
Dennis Dean was elected chairman and Mr. Willsie, clerk of the
board of trustees.
At a meeting held June 17 J. H.
Snell was appointed treasurer and it was ordered by the board
that the collector call upon Messrs. Hiemer and Locke and
require them to take out a city license to retail malt and
spirituous liquors. C. M. Folsom was appointed clerk in place of
Willsie, resigned. May 22, 1871, the second election was held,
and the following officers elected: Andrew Marble, chairman; H.
H. Packard, treasurer; A. B. Chamberlain, clerk; J. B. Lininger,
1872 - Election held May 31,
Henry Johnson, chairman; A. B. Chamberlain, clerk; M. C. Long,
treasurer. 1873 - May 19. Henry Johnson, chairman; H. W. Curtis,
treasurer; J. A. Jury, clerk; J. G. Whitlock, marshal and street
commissioner. 1874 - May 11. William B. Morris, chairman; J. B.
Lininger, treasurer; J. A. Jury, clerk. The issue of the
election was the temperance question, and during this year the
licenses were granted. 1875 - May 11, J. M. Bond, chairman; H.
W. Curtis, treasurer; Joseph Arnold, clerk; H. S. Clark,
marshal; J. G. Whitlock, street commissioner. 1876 - May 23,
Henry Johnson, chairman; H. B. Curtis, treasurer; Joseph Arnold,
clerk; O. A. Pierce, collector; George Buck, marshal and street
commissioner. 1878 - May 21, same board.
1878 - April 16, Ashland was
organized as a city of the second class and the following
officers elected: Ben S. Clark, mayor; J. R. Watts, City Clerk;
Council - J. H. Snell; A. D. Frazier, First Ward; E. M. Park, W.
C. Scott, second ward. City treasurer Jury resigned November 2,
1878. H. W. Curtis was elected to fill his place at a special
election held January 4, 1879. H. H. Packard was also elected
councilman from the first ward to fill vacancy. January 14,
1879, chemical fire engines and hook and ladder truck, costing
$1,700 were purchased.
The second city election was held
April 5, 1879, and the following complement of officials were
elected: Ben S. Clark, mayor; H. W. Curtis, city treasurer; A.
H. Gould, city clerk; J. H. Snell and Dennis Dean, councilmen,
first ward, and Samuel Stratton second ward; David Wingood,
Police Judge; William Hardin, city engineer; George Hoffman,
marshal. The incoming council refused to pay for the fire
apparatus and it was shipped back to the manufacturer. An act of
the legislature making it necessary for a city of the second
class to have 1,500 inhabitants to retain its franchise, caused
the premature death of the young city, the census returns
failing to return over 1,100 inhabitants. Accordingly, April 8,
1880, Ashland was organized as a village with the following
trustees and officers: Trustees, Dennis Dean, J. H. Snell; Water
Supt. Don Robinson $395 mo.; Cemetery, Geo. W. Pike $395 mo.;
Sewage Treatment Plant and Parks, Pete Nitz $395 mo.; Police
Chief, Earl Sack $350 mo.; City Attny., C. D. Lutton $600 yr.
Kindly Transcribed by Kathie Harrison