Wahoo Newspaper Historical Articles
home --> history -->
Wahoo Newspaper -- Clear
Creek Changes Name To Yutan 83 Years Ago
Clear Creek Changes Name To Yutan 83
To the pioneer settlers of
Union precinct, Yutan was formerly Clear Creek and the name of
the town was changed to Yutan June 6, 1884. Yutan is situated
in the north part of section 27, township 15, range 9. The
fact of the matter is, part of the town is in the northeast
quarter of the section.
When the town was changed,
a historian wrote as follows: "This town is on the branch
of the Union Pacific railroad about 35 miles west of Omaha.
The village is located on rising ground and just to the
eastward at the base of the hill. Clear Creek, once known as
Squaw Creek flows sluggishly along, receiving the surplus
water for the thirsty stock that grazed on its grassy flats.
Two miles east of the village the Platte River contributes to
the attractiveness of the scenery as it rushes pellmell on its
impetuous course to mingle its waters with the Big Muddy.
The land for miles around
is productive as any in Saunders county and stock raising and
agricultural pursuits form the principal industry of its
people. The town has a population of perhaps 130 and is well
represented in the stock and grain, grocery, dry goods,
hardware, millinery and hotel business. One and a half miles
east of the village the waters of the Otoe Creek turn the
machinery of Brown's mill and also of another three miles
northward, known as the Platte Valley Mill, owned by W. C.
Walter. They are important industries of Saunders county and
Clear Creek has two church edifices
erected in 1879. Methodist Episcopal and Lutheran, valued at
$1,600 and is provided with a good, comfortable frame school